Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Heart's Desire!

"Whom have I in heaven but Thee?
And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth"
~Psalms 7325

Do I desire something other than God and his best for me? Am I envious of others and content with my life? This Scripture begs these answers! I just read an incredible devotional out of Purity: A Godly Woman's Adornment by Lydia Brownback called "A Pure Woman Has One Desire" based on this Scripture above. All of Psalms 73 is awesome! I went and read the whole thing and was amazed at how little I remembered some of it! A lot of it is Asaph complaining that he can't stand to see the evil people rewarded along with the good because he believes it is unfair. "Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure, And washed my hands in innocence..." vs. 13. He's asking what the point is in keeping pure when the unjust and impure are all still getting all the good stuff and being rewarded as much if not more than him. WOW! Do we think this sometimes? I know I do. That is when I start complaining about my life and looking around at others. Not a good thing to do!

"Until I came into the sanctuary of God;
Then I perceived their end." vs. 17

Until Asaph came to God again he could not see the point. We must be constantly in His word and looking to Him for all the answers and even when we don't see the answers, we must still trust Him with our lives and the lives of others. God does know what He is doing!

"God wants us to know what it's like to desire nothing but him. That's why he allows us to find such little lasting satisfaction with the world's toys and joys. We get something we've always wanted, or a dream comes true, yet it quickly becomes just part of life's routine. So what do we do? We set out to lay hold of some new earthbound pleasure. We don't stop to consider that our inability to find lasting happiness in earthly blessings and personal dreams is because God designed us for something else. Our dissatisfaction is his way of wooing us to find our all in him."
~Lydia Brownback

So true! May I find my lasting happiness and contentment in Him alone no matter what this world has to offer me. I pray that you can do the same, dear reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment